Canterbury Museums & Galleries Strategy
To be East Kent’s gateway to art, culture and heritage making a major contribution to the international significance of the area reflecting its past and shaping its future.
Our strategy sets out four key objectives:
- To preserve, share, enhance and develop the collections for our public.
- To deliver a distinctive, diverse and excellent learning programme.
- To broaden our appeal and build a larger, more diverse and engaged audience.
- To make the best use of available resources to develop a resilient museums service.
Our ethos is to enable individuals to explore, learn, participate and create using the permanent collections, special exhibitions, community engagement programme, educational activities and library for inspiration, learning and enjoyment.
Read more here Canterbury Museums & Galleries Strategy 2013-17
- To promote cultural excellence by providing a superb facility and innovative programmes and services.
- To be at the heart of the community by encouraging active community participation.
- To support economic and social regeneration in Canterbury and across East Kent by attracting visitors and helping local people to develop key skills.
…in the power of museums, recognising their transformative nature, promoting good and active citizenship, supporting the wellbeing of individuals and communities, shaping the distinctiveness of the Canterbury district as a place.
…that museums are about learning. They are places for ideas, dialogue and creativity, that use collections to inspire people.
…in innovation, we will be brave about trying new things and see experimentation with ideas and technology as essential to developing our museums.
…in inclusion, encouraging access for all and targeting diverse and under-represented audiences to engage in our museums.
…in collaboration and will work proactively with our communities and our partners, engaging in strategic partnerships for long-term positive impacts.