- Fri 8 June 2018 to Sat 22 September 2018
- All day
- Free admission, drop in
- The Beaney, 18 High Street, Canterbury, CT1 2RA
- 01227 862 162
Step into the nostalgic world of Ladybird Books told through original artwork, books and objects.
Ladybird Books have been a familiar fixture on children’s bookshelves since the 1950s but few people are aware that they actually date back to the early days of the Second World War.
For the first time this exhibition puts on display an unparalleled collection of books, original artwork and artefacts and shows how the numerous, talented Ladybird illustrators played such an enormous role in the extraordinary success of the company in the 20th century. Tracing the interconnected work of these artists, the Ladybird story itself is recounted over its ‘golden years’ – 1940 to 1975. Visually rich and varied, it is a story that is sure to evoke many strong memories of childhood!
Plus, enjoy our selection of creative family friendly activities inspired by the Ladybird exhibition and the artists that created the well-loved illustrations.
- Make-Your-Own Ladybird Book: Create your own decorative Ladybird inspired book to take home with you. We supply the materials you bring the imagination! (£2.50 per person)
- Ladybird Gallery Trail: Pick up a quiz sheet and explore some of the themes of the wonderful world of Ladybird Books through our collections. See how many answers you can discover and hand in your completed answer sheet to win a sweet treat surprise! (£1 per person)
- Make-And-Do Finger Puppet: Inspired by the original Ladybird Books ‘Make-And-Do’ activities, we provide you with all the materials you need to create your own Finger Puppet! (£1 per person)
Or do all 3 activities for £4!
Location: Special Exhibition Gallery, 1st Floor, The Beaney
Curated by The Beaney and Helen Day.