Explore the Ancient Greeks through a range of activities which you can mix and match to create your…
Work with our experienced facilitator to mummify a classmate and groan as the intestines are pulled out! Wrap an animal mummy against the clock, investigate real artefacts and create a papyrus cartouche.
On arrival please introduce yourselves at our main visitor information desk and then make your way upstairs to our Learning Lab. Our facilitator will greet you and show you where to put coats and bags and lead you into the Learning Lab where the session will take place.
The group will commence the session together but will be divided into 5 or 6 smaller groups for certain parts of the session depending on the size of the group. It would be helpful if the school staff were able to put the pupils into these groups.
There will be a short visit to the museum galleries but most of the activity will take place in the Learning Lab so it is recommended that you allow some time for a museum visit during your trip.
Other activities are available within the museum, each lasting approximately 45 minutes so you could add these to your workshop to tailor your museum visit to your class needs.
The Ancient Egyptians sessions run for 1.5 hours and are available at the following times:
10:15 – 11:45
12:00 – 13:30
13:45 – 15:15
Capacity & Age Groups
Maximum capacity for the Ancient Egyptians workshop is 32 pupils plus accompanying teachers. For larger groups we can split pupils into two groups and you can combine your visit with other activities or a museum visit whilst the groups take it in turns to participate in the workshop.
Key stage 2, intermediate and above ESOL students.
£4.00 per pupil, accompanying adults are free. Min charge £70
Please do enquire if you require a lunch space and we will do our best to accommodate you. However, a lunch space cannot be guaranteed.
- We advise that all teachers conduct a preliminary visit before arriving with their pupils.
- Please ensure that all accompanying adults on your visit are aware of their role on the visit and are prepared to engage in the learning and support the pupils.
- The group leader is responsible for the behaviour and well-being of their group at all times.
- Please arrive promptly ready to start your visit allowing time for traffic, coach parking and walking through the busy city centre.
- There is no parking outside The Beaney or Canterbury Roman Museum. Coach drivers can book an appropriate coach drop off time at Canterbury Bus Station (5 minutes’ walk), or a parking space at Canterbury Coach Park (15 minutes’ walk)
- If payment for the visit is not made on the day, we will invoice for the number of pupils originally booked or the number that actually visited on the day (whichever is higher). If a visit is cancelled less than 2 weeks before it is due to take place, we regret we will still require payment to cover incurred costs.
- Payment is preferred 2 weeks in advance by cash, credit card or cheque payable to Canterbury City Council. In exceptional circumstances, and if no other payment method is possible we may be able to invoice.
Terms and Conditions
Payment can be made on the day of your visit in cash, by credit card or via a cheque made payable to Canterbury City Council. If payment is not made on the day, we will invoice for the number of pupils originally booked or however many actually visited on the day (whichever is higher). If a visit is cancelled less than 2 weeks before it is due to take place, we regret we will still request payment to cover incurred costs.
Responsibility for children on site
Please ensure that all accompanying adults are aware of their role on the visit and are prepared to engage in the learning and support the pupils.
The group leader is responsible for the behaviour and well-being of their group at all times including first aid and ensuring participants are engaged in the activity. The group leaders will be liable for any breakages or damage to Museum property or collections. Your staff should accompany your pupils at all times. Learning activities cannot be delivered by our staff unless your pupils are accompanied by relevant staff numbers.
If your group arrives late, please note that the duration of the workshop may be reduced (to end at the scheduled time) in order not to run over into time booked by other later groups and therefore the workshop content may not be as advertised. The charges will remain as advertised.
Ahead of your visit please download and complete the relevant risk assessment.