One of our Tour Guides will show you around to explore some key objects at the Roman Museum, plus get a chance to investigate some Roman artefacts!
Develop your investigative enquiry skills and discover the stories behind key artefacts in the Collection as you explore the museum in an interactive tour.
Upon arrival please introduce yourselves at the front desk where our tour guide will greet you, show you where to put coats and bags and lead you into the museum where the session will take place.
There are two parts to the tour. One group will explore the galleries and key Roman artefacts on display with a tour guide, whilst the other will have a chance to investigate artefacts, replicas, and activities in the museum’s Hands-on area. Larger groups will be split into two, swapping between the tour and the hands-on activity after 30 minutes.
The Roman Museum Highlights Tour runs for 1 hour and can be taken during the museum’s opening hours:
Monday – Sunday 10:00 – 17:00
CAPACITY AND AGE GROUPS
Maximum numbers for the Roman Museum Highlights Tour is 32 pupils plus accompanying teachers. Key stage 2 and 3, intermediate and advanced ESOL students.
£5.00 per pupil, accompanying adults are free. Min charge £70
Please enquire if you require a lunch space and we will do our best to accommodate you, however a lunch space cannot be guaranteed.
HOW TO BOOK
All schools and groups must book visits in advance. To book any of our workshops please complete our Online Booking Form. If you have specific requirements that are not covered by the Online Booking Form please email our Collections and Learning Team Learning@canterbury.gov.uk.
- We advise that all teachers conduct a preliminary visit before arriving with their pupils.
- Please ensure that all accompanying adults on your visit are aware of their role on the visit and are prepared to engage in the learning and support the pupils.
- The group leader is responsible for the behaviour and well-being of their group at all times.
- Please arrive promptly ready to start your visit allowing time for traffic, coach parking and walking through the busy city centre.
- There is no parking outside The Beaney or Canterbury Roman Museum. Coach drivers can book an appropriate coach drop off time at Canterbury Bus Station (5 minutes’ walk), or a parking space at Canterbury Coach Park (15 minutes’ walk)
- If payment for the visit is not made on the day, we will invoice for the number of pupils originally booked or the number that actually visited on the day (whichever is higher). If a visit is cancelled less than 2 weeks before it is due to take place, we regret we will still require payment to cover incurred costs.
- Payment is preferred 2 weeks in advance by cash, credit card or cheque payable to Canterbury City Council. In exceptional circumstances, and if no other payment method is possible we may be able to invoice.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Payment can be made on the day of your visit in cash, by credit card or via a cheque made payable to Canterbury City Council. If payment is not made on the day, we will invoice for the number of pupils originally booked or however many actually visited on the day (whichever is higher). If a visit is cancelled less than 2 weeks before it is due to take place, we regret we will still request payment to cover incurred costs.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR CHILDREN ON SITE
Please ensure that all accompanying adults are aware of their role on the visit and are prepared to engage in the learning and support the pupils.
The group leader is responsible for the behaviour and well-being of their group at all times including first aid and ensuring participants are engaged in the activity. The group leaders will be liable for any breakages or damage to Museum property or collections. Your staff should accompany your pupils at all times. Learning activities cannot be delivered by our staff unless your pupils are accompanied by relevant staff numbers.
If your group arrives late, please note that the duration of the workshop may be reduced (to end at the scheduled time) in order not to run over into time booked by other later groups and therefore the workshop content may not be as advertised. The charges will remain as advertised.
Please download and complete the relevant Risk Assessment for your visit.