We welcome school groups to our city museums on teacher-led tours, allowing you to take advantage of the interactive and educational activities on offer.
However we recommend you book one of our learning activities, from creative packs and trails, to object handling sessions and workshops, to enhance your visit.
The Beaney House of Art & Knowledge
Visit The Beaney and be inspired by outstanding art collections, natural history specimens and incredible objects brought back by Victorian explorers and collectors from every corner of the globe, including artefacts from Ancient Egypt and Greece, China, India and the South Seas! Don’t forget to visit the latest Special Exhibition. Free entry, advanced booking required
Canterbury Roman Museum
Go underground to the Roman street level to uncover the fascinating story of Roman Canterbury. See incredible finds including an Iron Age helmet, exquisite jewellery, a buried silver hoard and evidence of a rotten Roman murder! Have fun investigating real objects and try on a toga in the hands-on area. Cost: £2.50 per child for non-Canterbury district schools. £2 per child for Canterbury district schools.
We are happy to announce that we are welcoming schools and educational groups back to the museums for teacher-led visits, facilitated workshops and tours.
Canterbury Museums & Galleries have been delivering fun and inspiring educational workshops for over 20 years, bringing subjects to life as part of a rich, cross-curricular experience.
Inspired by our award-winning Health and Wellbeing programme, our Learning offer provides the opportunity to explore, share and socialise to renew confidence and friendships. We are in a unique position to support your school’s pandemic recovery curriculum and we look forward to welcoming you back to the museums!
We have new procedures in place to ensure that your visit will be as safe and enjoyable as possible:
- Your group will have exclusive access to the museum galleries which will be closed to the public for the duration of your visit.
- You will also have exclusive access to designated toilets and a lunch space if required.
- Areas used for workshops are cleaned before and after visits and resources are cleaned or quarantined before and after use.
- We are temporarily waiving our cancellation fees in the event that schools need to cancel due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Our offer is highly flexible and If you would like to discuss your requirements please contact our Collections and Learning team: Learning@canterbury.gov.uk