Pupils will work in groups of two or three taking on the role of archaeologists, investigating and…
Roman Mosaic Makers
Come and take part in our fun hands-on mosaic making workshop. Take a journey around the Roman Museum, finding out about Roman artefacts using our Explorer Guide to record your findings. Be inspired by our original Roman town house mosaic floor and the museum’s collections and create your own replica mosaic tile to take back to school.
Upon arrival at the Roman Museum you will be divided into 2 smaller groups. One group will explore the museum led by your own staff – an Explorer’s Guide will be provided for each pupil for approximately 40 minutes whilst the other group will have the opportunity to be mosaic makers, learning about mosaics and making a replica mosaic tile inspired by the mosaic floor of the Roman town house. The groups will then swap around. It would be helpful if the school staff were able to put the pupils into these 2 groups.
Other activities are available within the museum, each lasting approximately 45 minutes so you could add these to your workshop to tailor your museum visit to your class needs.
The Roman Mosaic Makers session runs for 1.5 hours.
Capacity & Age Groups
Maximum numbers for the Roman Mosaic Makers workshop is 32 pupils plus accompanying teachers. For larger groups we can split you into 2 groups, one at The Roman Museum and one at The Beaney where there are other activities available and the groups may take it in turns at each museum and swap over to participate in the workshop. This workshop runs for 1.5 hours.
Each group must be accompanied by a member of your staff at all times so please ensure that you have enough staff for this.
£5.00 per pupil, accompanying adults are free. Minimum charge £70.
Please do enquire if you require a lunch space and we will do our best to accommodate you. However, a lunch space cannot be guaranteed.
- We advise that all teachers conduct a preliminary visit before arriving with their pupils.
- Please ensure that all accompanying adults on your visit are aware of their role on the visit and are prepared to engage in the learning and support the pupils.
- The group leader is responsible for the behaviour and well-being of their group at all times.
- Please arrive promptly ready to start your visit allowing time for traffic, coach parking and walking through the busy city centre.
- There is no parking outside The Beaney or Canterbury Roman Museum. Coach drivers can book an appropriate coach drop off time at Canterbury Bus Station (5 minutes’ walk), or a parking space at Canterbury Coach Park (15 minutes’ walk)
- If payment for the visit is not made on the day, we will invoice for the number of pupils originally booked or the number that actually visited on the day (whichever is higher). If a visit is cancelled less than 2 weeks before it is due to take place, we regret we will still require payment to cover incurred costs.
- Payment is preferred 2 weeks in advance by cash, credit card or cheque payable to Canterbury City Council. In exceptional circumstances, and if no other payment method is possible we may be able to invoice.
Terms & Conditions
Payment can be made on the day of your visit in cash, by credit card or via a cheque made payable to Canterbury City Council. If payment is not made on the day, we will invoice for the number of pupils originally booked or however many actually visited on the day (whichever is higher). If a visit is cancelled less than 2 weeks before it is due to take place, we regret we will still request payment to cover incurred costs.
Responsibility for children on site
Please ensure that all accompanying adults are aware of their role on the visit and are prepared to engage in the learning and support the pupils.
The group leader is responsible for the behaviour and well-being of their group at all times including first aid and ensuring participants are engaged in the activity. The group leaders will be liable for any breakages or damage to Museum property or collections. Your staff should accompany your pupils at all times. Learning activities cannot be delivered by our staff unless your pupils are accompanied by relevant staff numbers.
If your group arrives late, please note that the duration of the workshop may be reduced (to end at the scheduled time) in order not to run over into time booked by other later groups and therefore the workshop content may not be as advertised. The charges will remain as advertised.
Please download and complete the relevant Risk Assessment for your visit: