Creativity is fundamental in making The Beaney a vibrant and exciting place for everyone. Whenever possible we offer opportunities for artists to create, explore, engage, share and challenge using our collections and building as a resource for inspiration.
Artist Call Out
We are looking for an artist with experience collaborating with community and youth groups to work in partnership with local organisations to produce a visual arts response to our upcoming exhibition ‘Memories of Drawings’ by Georgia O’Keeffe (on loan from the Arts Council Collection) which will be on display in the Special Exhibitions Gallery at The Beaney in Autumn 2021.
The artist will work with museum staff to develop and deliver a series of workshops which take inspiration from ‘Memories of Drawing: An exhibition of drawings by Georgia O’Keeffe’ and ‘The Printed Line’, an exhibition which considers how artists have used a variety of printmaking techniques to exploit the potential of the printed line: from the thick, velvety lines of drypoint and intense cross-hatching of etching to delicate wood engravings and boldly coloured screenprints.
The artwork produced in these workshops will be displayed alongside the Georgia O’Keeffe works and so there needs to be a demonstrable link between the workshops and the exhibition themes.
We are looking for an artist who can:
● Demonstrate prior experience of working in collaboration with community groups or
working collaboratively to produce artworks.
● Demonstrate previous experience of delivering projects on time and on budget.
● Demonstrate an understanding of culture for wellbeing.
● Attend an initial planning meeting with museum staff to agree the project outline and
workshop dates prior to commencing work.
Please email @Thefrontroom@canterbury.gov.uk with the following information:
● A biography about yourself or a CV.
● A brief outline of how you intend to approach this commission (500 words max)
● A web link to your portfolio including examples of any community based or
collaborative work you have previously undertaken OR a dropbox link of up to 5
examples of your previous similar work.
● Your contact details – email address and phone number.
● A link to your website and/or social media pages.
Payment and Expenses:
£2,000 to include all materials and VAT payable as set out in the terms and conditions to include:
● Creation off-site of workshop details
● Planning, preparation of the project workshops
● All expenses for materials and travel (including delivery of workshops in the gallery)
mileage and any other costs
● Delivery of all the workshop
● Production of artworks
Applications must be received by Sunday 25 July at Midnight.