Canterbury Museums & Galleries Vision and Strategy
Find out more about our Vision, Strategy and Values at Canterbury Museums and Galleries.
A world of people, places, exploration and surprises. Bringing Canterbury's culture, art and heritage to life.
Our Museums & Galleries: a world of people, places, exploration and surprises.
From Roman history to contemporary art, from local stories to global commentary, the collections and exhibitions will inspire creativity, discovery and play as a way of unlocking potential and enabling learning.
Conversations, connections and collaborations with our audiences are the foundations of the service, ensuring that our work is relevant and current, reflecting who we were, who we are and who we hope to be.
Our strategy sets out five key objectives:
- Deliver an innovative programme using our collections and learning facilities to engage and inspire audiences, particularly focused on children and young people
- Promote Health and Well-being for our communities through cultural engagement and partnership working
- Create a resilient service that balances commercial opportunities with our core offer
- Act as an example of best practice in cultural and organisational development, from the care of our collections to encouraging development in our staff and the people we work with, we will seek out new ways of working and share learning
- Reflect our ambitions in the way we design, operate and maintain our buildings, recognising them as part of our collection to be shared, explored and preserved for future generations.
We believe everybody should feel welcome to be part of the Museums’ family. Whether they are just passing through or a regular visitor, our service is open to all.
We want to start conversations and exploration as early as possible in our communities and therefore we put family at the heart of everything we do. Our collections, exhibitions and events are designed with access and inclusion in mind.
We believe in the transformative nature of cultural engagement to improve health and wellbeing. Through our collections, programming and learning we want to offer opportunities for reflection, inspiration and education.
We are a dynamic museum. We believe in preserving and interpreting the past in order to shape the future. We apply learning as much to our operation as our programming and aspire to develop our offer through innovations and partnerships.