Privacy & Cookies Policy
We are committed to protecting your privacy and keeping your information secure. This policy provides transparent information about the personal information that Canterbury Museums & Galleries (including The Beaney House of Art & Knowledge and Canterbury Roman Museum) collects, and the ways in which Canterbury Museums & Galleries uses that personal information.
In handling your information:
- We will ensure your data is protected and your privacy is kept
- We will only collect and process your data when necessary
- We will not sell, let, or in any way distribute or, make public your personal information
- We will never spam you
If you have any questions or concerns, you can email us at email@example.com.
Collecting Personal Information
Canterbury Museums & Galleries may collect and use the following kinds of personal information:
- Personal details and contact information when submitted through web forms
- Demographic Information, such as postcode, preferences and interests
- Information about your use of this website (including cookies)
- Information that you provide for completing a web form or mailing list subscription on the website
- Information about transactions carried out over this website
- “Cookies,” which enables the website to remember your information if you return to the site, such as to keep you logged in or to remember your login credentials if you return to the site
- And any other information that you send to the company
Using Personal Information
Canterbury Museums & Galleries may use your personal information:
- To provide or supply the products/services that you purchase
- For internal record keeping and accounting
- For the improvement of our products/services
- For the transmission by email of promotional materials that may be of interest to you.
- To contact you for market research purposes which may be done using email, telephone, or mail. Such information may be used to customise or update the website
All data submitted through the web forms on this website are stored on the server for a maximum period of six months before being deleted.
In line with our commitment to privacy and providing an improved user experience, we’ve transitioned from Google Analytics to Fathom Analytics, a privacy-centric analytics service.
Fathom Analytics offers us insights into user interactions with our site without using cookies or infringing on your privacy. This transition supports a more engaging user experience, aligns our practices with the latest privacy standards, and importantly, eliminates the need for cookie consent for analytics purposes on our site.
Canterbury Museums & Galleries use MailChimp to manage our newsletters and bulk customer communications. We will store some of your information, including your email address, IP address and certain information about the email links you click within the emails we send you, on a Mailchimp server.
There’s no third-party tracking in messages we send through MailChimp besides their own analytics. Neither we, nor Mailchimp, will ever sell your email address or share it with any other party, unless we are legally compelled to do so.
YouTube embedded videos
Various YouTube videos are embedded throughout the site in Privacy Enhanced mode, which prevents cookies being set until you interact (i.e. play) the video. From each video you can click through to the YouTube website. You should note that we do not have any control over the YouTube website and you should exercise caution and look at their privacy statement.
Software & Third Parties
Canterbury Museums & Galleries will use software to fulfill our contractual obligations to you in the performance of our services and completing transactions. By requesting information or delivery of a service and product, we process your data under the lawful basis of contract.
Canterbury Museums & Galleries will process your data under the lawful basis of the legitimate interests of the company. By using our website, registering with us and by using our services you understand and agree that personal information you provide may be held on:
- Google Workspaces
Canterbury Museums & Galleries does not sell or rent your personal data to marketers or unaffiliated third parties.
Canterbury Museums & Galleries will ensure they have contracts with them that confirm your data will be processed following GDPR regulations.
Canterbury Museums & Galleries may disclose your personal information to the extent that it is required to do so by law, in connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings, and in order to establish, exercise or defend its legal rights.
Securing your data
Canterbury Museums & Galleries has a Data Governance Policy in operation and will take reasonable technical and organisational precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information.
Canterbury Museums & Galleries will store all the personal information you provide on its secure servers. We will never provide access to our databases to a non-trusted third party detailed in this policy.
Information relating to electronic transactions entered into via this website will be protected by encryption technology.
Under the GDPR rulings, we would inform our users within 72 hours if any breach of security occurs that might compromise your data.
How you can restrict or access your Personal Data
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the field that you can leave unchecked to indicate that you do not want the information to be used for direct marketing purposes.
If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by:
- writing to Canterbury City Council, Military Road, Canterbury, CT1 1YW
- emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- unsubscribing via the unsubscribe link on a marketing email
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you, by applying in writing to Canterbury City Council, Military Road, Canterbury, CT1 1YW or email us at email@example.com.
We will supply this information within 30 days. If any data is incorrect we will correct it as soon as we receive appropriate notice or evidence from you in writing.
The right to be forgotten
We will retain your personal information only for as long as necessary, whilst retaining legal requirements for maintaining financial records.
You have the right to instruct us to delete all the personal information held. Should you wish to instruct us to delete please do so in writing to Canterbury City Council, Military Road, Canterbury, CT1 1YW or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any data no longer required will be deleted or destroyed securely and confidentially.
The right of rectification
We will take all reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is current and accurate. If inaccurate or incomplete data is identified, we will take steps to correct the data, or remove securely and confidentially.
You have the right to instruct us to remove incomplete personal data held. Should you wish to request incomplete data removal, please do so in writing to Canterbury City Council, Military Road, Canterbury, CT1 1YW or by email to email@example.com.
Changes to this policy
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Data Protection Officer
The appointed Data Protection Officer is the Canterbury City Council’s Head of Corporate Governance. Contact details are:
Head of Corporate Governance
01227 862 175
Contact Canterbury Museums & Galleries
You can contact us at any point to:
- Request access to information that Canterbury Museums & Galleries has about you
- Correct any information that Canterbury Museums & Galleries has about you
- Request the deletion of information that Canterbury Museums & Galleries has about you
Should you feel there may be a problem in how your data has been handled, you should contact Canterbury Museums & Galleries by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Should you still not be satisfied you have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ico.org.uk).