Explore the Ancient Greeks through a range of activities which you can mix and match to create your…
Learning Lab LEGO
Add exciting STEAM activities to your topic with a trip to the museum, using our LEGO® Spike Essentials! resources!
Topics we have adapted include Volcanoes and Earthquakes, Extreme Environments and Reduce, Re-Use, Recycle. If you’re interested in enhancing your topic work with LEGO programming, please get in touch with our Learning Team Learning@canterbury.gov.uk
On arrival please introduce yourselves at our main visitor information desk where our facilitator will greet you and show you where to put coats and bags and lead you into the galleries where the session will take place.
There are two parts to the workshop. One group will work with the LEGO® Spike Essentials! kit to build and code their own robots. The other group will be exploring the galleries and getting hands-on with the museum collection in order to learn about your topic of choice.
Each part takes 45 minutes and then the groups can swap around. School staff will need to split the pupils into 2 groups.
It is recommended that you allow some time, outside of the workshop for a more general museum visit during your trip.
The Learning Lab LEGO session runs for 1.5 hours and is available at the following
10:15 – 11:45
12:00 – 13:30
13:45 – 15:15
Capacity & Age Groups
Maximum numbers for the Learning Lab LEGO workshop is 32 pupils plus accompanying teachers. For larger groups we can split you into 2 groups and you can combine your visit with other activities or a museum visit whilst the groups take it in turns to participate in the workshop.
Key stage 1 and 2, intermediate and advanced ESOL students.
£8 per pupil accompanying adults are free. Min charge £70.
Please do enquire if you require a lunch space and we will do our best to accommodate you, however a lunch space cannot be guaranteed.
- We advise that all teachers conduct a preliminary visit before arriving with their pupils.
- Please ensure that all accompanying adults on your visit are aware of their role on the visit and are prepared to engage in the learning and support the pupils.
- The group leader is responsible for the behaviour and well-being of their group at all times.
- Please arrive promptly ready to start your visit allowing time for traffic, coach parking and walking through the busy city centre.
- There is no parking outside The Beaney or Canterbury Roman Museum. Coach drivers can book an appropriate coach drop off time at Canterbury Bus Station (5 minutes’ walk), or a parking space at Canterbury Coach Park (15 minutes’ walk)
- If payment for the visit is not made on the day, we will invoice for the number of pupils originally booked or the number that actually visited on the day (whichever is higher). If a visit is cancelled less than 2 weeks before it is due to take place, we regret we will still require payment to cover incurred costs.
- Invoices are issued following the date of the visit unless you would prefer to pay in advance.
Terms & Conditions
- Payment can be made on the day of your visit in cash, by credit card or via a cheque made payable to Canterbury City Council. If payment is not made on the day, we will invoice for the number of pupils originally booked or however many actually visited on the day (whichever is higher). If a visit is cancelled less than 2 weeks before it is due to take place, we regret we will still request payment to cover incurred costs.
Responsibility for children on site
Please ensure that all accompanying adults are aware of their role on the visit and are prepared to engage in the learning and support the pupils.
The group leader is responsible for the behaviour and well-being of their group at all times including first aid and ensuring participants are engaged in the activity. The group leaders will be liable for any breakages or damage to Museum property or collections. Your staff should accompany your pupils at all times. Learning activities cannot be delivered by our staff unless your pupils are accompanied by relevant staff numbers.
If your group arrives late, please note that the duration of the workshop may be reduced (to end at the scheduled time) in order not to run over into time booked by other later groups and therefore the workshop content may not be as advertised. The charges will remain as advertised.
Ahead of your visit please download and complete the relevant risk assessment.