Investigate the tumultuous times of the Anglo Saxons and Vikings by examining artefacts found…
SEND Sensory Workshops
Explore the museum in an accessible and sensory way. Take part in open ended object investigation activities with multisensory resources.
We regularly adapt our workshops to accomodate a wide range of groups and are happy to plan with teachers to best meet the SEND access needs of your group.
The activities are very flexible and can take place in the Learning Lab or in the museum galleries depending on what works best for members of the group. We have a range of multisensory resources that link to the collection on display and use them to explore the museum. Sessions can be adapted to focus on specific topics.
The Beaney has an accessible entrance at Best Lane, with step free access into the building, a platform lift and a flight of ‘easy going’ steps that allow for pushchairs and other mobility equipment.
Accessible visitor toilet facilities and full lift access are available.
SEND Sensory sessions run up to 1.5 hours and can be booked from 10:15.
Capacity & Age Groups
Maximum numbers for the SEND Sensory Workshop is 32 pupils plus accompanying teachers, depending on the access requirements of your group. For larger groups we can split you into 2 groups and you can combine your visit with other activities or a museum visit whilst the groups take it in turns to participate in the workshop.
£7 per pupil accompanying adults are free. Min charge £70.
Please do enquire if you require a lunch space and we will do our best to accommodate you, however a lunch space cannot be guaranteed.
- We advise that all teachers conduct a preliminary visit before arriving with their pupils.
- Please ensure that all accompanying adults on your visit are aware of their role on the visit and are prepared to engage in the learning and support the pupils.
- The group leader is responsible for the behaviour and well-being of their group at all times.
- Please arrive promptly ready to start your visit allowing time for traffic, coach parking and walking through the busy city centre.
- The Beaney does not have designated parking however there is a 12 space disabled car park available at the rear of the building. Alternatively, coach drivers can book an appropriate coach drop off time at Canterbury Bus Station (5 minutes’ walk), or a parking space at Canterbury Coach Park (15 minutes’ walk)
- If payment for the visit is not made on the day, we will invoice for the number of pupils originally booked or the number that actually visited on the day (whichever is higher). If a visit is cancelled less than 2 weeks before it is due to take place, we regret we will still require payment to cover incurred costs.
- Invoices are issued following the date of the visit unless organisers wish to pay in advance.
Terms & Conditions
- Payment can be made on the day of your visit in cash, by credit card or via a cheque made payable to Canterbury City Council. If payment is not made on the day, we will invoice for the number of pupils originally booked or however many actually visited on the day (whichever is higher). If a visit is cancelled less than 2 weeks before it is due to take place, we regret we will still request payment to cover incurred costs.
Responsibility for children on site
Please ensure that all accompanying adults are aware of their role on the visit and are prepared to engage in the learning and support the pupils.
The group leader is responsible for the behaviour and well-being of their group at all times including first aid and ensuring participants are engaged in the activity. The group leaders will be liable for any breakages or damage to Museum property or collections. Your staff should accompany your pupils at all times. Learning activities cannot be delivered by our staff unless your pupils are accompanied by relevant staff numbers.
If your group arrives late, please note that the duration of the workshop may be reduced (to end at the scheduled time) in order not to run over into time booked by other later groups and therefore the workshop content may not be as advertised. The charges will remain as advertised.
Ahead of your visit please download and complete the relevant risk assessment.